Monday, August 22, 2011

The Imitation of Christ

I have a new resolution:  I am going to read The Imitation of Christ, a chapter a day.  Ihave made several attempts to read this classic but have never succeeded in getting very far.  I am too, impatient, I think.  It isn't meant to be read like C. S. Lewis or Frank Sheed, chapters at a time.  I believe it is meant to be read slowly, a little at a time, to give our souls time to marinate in its wisdom.  Or so I hope!  Here are two quotes I like from Chapter One, "Imitating Christ and Despising All Vanities on Earth":

I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it. For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God?
It is vanity to wish for long-life and care little for a well-spent life.
Happy Monday, y'all!

No comments: